It’s Secret Recipe Club time, and this month were making granola! I love eating homemade granola with Greek yogurt and any kind of berry for breakfast. Not only is it crazy delicious,, but it satisfies my inner shinny chick. I think tasty, she thinks healthy. Well… she says at least healthier then a pop tart. This is one meal we can both agree on.
This month I was assigned to Melissa’s blog, I Was Born To Cook. It’s a journal of recipes, stories and more from the kitchen of a 1st generation Italian/Greek girl from New Jersey. She has a ton of tasty looking recipes but since I’m out of my homemade cereal, the granola recipes caught my eye. I told you I have been craving coconut. So I took her Walnut Cinnamon Granola recipe , and I adapted it into a very addicting Coconut Granola
This recipe is so easy, and quick to make. I actually made it during vacation, on the dunes of the Oregon Coast, in a little travel trailer. I bagged up the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar in a large zip lock baggie. Then all I had to do was mix the wet ingredients in a measuring cup, pour the wet ingredients into the Ziploc with the dry, and shake it up. I then poured it all onto a cookie sheet and popped it into the oven. It made the whole camp site small delicious. My 17 year old, who wont even try my other homemade granola, couldn’t keep her paws out of this one. You have no idea how that speaks volumes, for this granola!
I Love this recipe. My inner skinny chick loved this recipe. Even the kid loved this recipe, and I hope you do too!
Adapted from I Was Born To Cook
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup Almonds, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In a big bowl, combine oats, nuts , coconut and brown sugar.
- In small bowl, blend together coconut oil, honey and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Stir in vanilla and coconut extract.
- Pour over oat mixture and mix well.
- Spread mixture evenly over baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Stir and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 8 cups.