When I got my assignment for this months Secret Recipe Club and I was pleasantly surprised to see I was hooked up with the blog, Swettie Pettiti. It’s ran by blogger, baker, crafter, cook Susie from Tennessee. She particularly loves to bake sugar cookies, which I was tempted to bake, but this Chocolate Pie caught my eye. I just couldn’t move past this pie, so I made it.
The pie plays a starring role in the movie, The Help. I had to go rent the movie once I made the pie, and of course, I had to make another pie for when I rented the movie. The second time I used a graham cracker crust.
Both versions are equally delicious.
My only problem I had was with the first two pies that I made. They came out , should I say, not so pretty? I didn’t get a nice smooth top to my pies. They puffed up, sank down, and cracked. But the third pie I baked came out beautiful! Yes, I made three pies all together.
It’s a terrific pie!
And it doesn’t matter if it puffs, sinks, or cracks. It’s still a delicious pie and the whip cream can hide a multitude of sins!
So, the movie was good…
but the pie was better!
Minny’s Chocolate Pie
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-5oz. small can evaporated milk (make sure you use the small 5 oz size!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped Cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place crust into 9″ pie pan. Crimp edges and prick bottom and sides.
- Mix sugar, cocoa and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and beat with a mixer 3 minutes.
- Add salt, milk and vanilla.
- Pour filling into prepared pie shell and bake for 35-45 minutes or until edges are brown and filling is slightly set in the middle.
- Cool completely before serving.