When I was in my teens, I spent a week house-sitting for the parents of a coworker. I spent the nights at their house and had full access to a stocked fridge. I felt so grown up. I distinctly remember two things about that wonderful week (this was way before texting and Twitter), I stayed up late each evening reading a great love story about pirates,
and… Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
Her cake was a chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake that I found in her freezer. I slivered that poor, delicious cake to death. I ate it frozen, toasted, with coffee and on the go. I demolished it, loved it, and dreamed about it for years.
But I never made one.
This quick and easy cake is a winner. It’s not the cake I remember from yesteryear, it’s better!
It’s so dense and fudgy, you would never know there was 3 cups of zucchini in it. I used my favorite cocoa and cinnamon, Bensdorp Dutch Processed Cocoa and Vietnamese Cinnamon. I doubled the glaze and decorated the top with those cute chocolate pearls.
I got high praises for this cake from everyone who tasted it.
One taste tester said, “It’s the bomb!”.
Cinnamon Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Ganache
Slightly adapted from The King Aurthur Website
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips (Next time I’ll use 1/2 cup.)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup half and half, heavy cream or (I used) evaporated milk
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan.
2) In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
3) Beat in the eggs.
4) Stir in the sour cream alternately with the flour.
5) Add the cocoa mixing until smooth.
6) Fold in the zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
7) Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top springs back lightly when touched, and it seems set. My cake took about 40 minutes. Cool completely before glazing.
In the microwave or on the stove top, combine 2 cups chocolate chips and 1/2 cup half & half, cream, or evaporated milk, heating until the chocolate softens. Stir to melt the chocolate, and spread over the completely cooled cake.Print This Recipe
Other zucchini recipes you might like:
Chocolate Zucchini Cake By Baking and Boys
Chocolate Streusel Zucchini Cake
target=”_blank”>Chocolate Cake from The Repressed Pastry Chef
Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Gimme Some Oven
Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Noble Pig
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread from Barbara Bakes