It might almost be time to go back to school, but that doesn’t mean Summer is almost over. There is still plenty of squash in the garden to be harvested.
no white sugar,
no white flour, and
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Made Healthier!
There are two reasons for the this zucchini cake makeover. Although I am not ready to give up white sugar and white flour completely, I am…
- trying to learn to bake without so much of the “white stuff”, and
- I was trying to use up stuff I already had in the pantry.
I used whole wheat pastry flour, organic coconut sugar, coconut oil, and Greek yogurt to keep it all nice and moist. Of course a sprinkle (1 cup) of dark chocolate chips make everything better!
This recipe made one mini Bundt cake and 12 cupcakes. Next time I’ll make two mini Bundt cakes because I liked it better as a Bundt!
Just my preference!
I really wanted to drench this cake with a decadant chocolate ganache, but … well, you know. I restrained!!!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Adapted from Barbara Bakes
2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup dark chocolate (or semi-sweet( chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 half size or a full size Bundt pan, or 24 cupcakes and set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well blended. Add sour cream and beat until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until combine.
- Mix in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Bake cupcakes 25 minutes.
- half size Bundts for 35 minutes;
- full size Bundt for 50-60 minutes
or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in pan before removing from pan.
Cool completely before cutting.
Print This Recipe
Other zucchini recipes you might like:
Chocolate Zucchini Cake By Baking and Boys
Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Gimme Some Oven
Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Noble Pig
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread from Barbara Bakes