Give me chocolate, caramel, or coconut and I’m walking on sunshine, but give me all three, on a brown sugar shortbread crust, and I’m walking on sunshine, over the moon!
That’s exactly what you get with these Chocolate Carmel Coconut Shortbread Bars. Oozy, gooey caramel, sweet flaked coconut and crunchy pecans topped with chocolate all nestled on a brown sugar shortbread crust.
I know, right?
I found this recipe for Turtle Bars over at Miss In The Kitchen, and knew they were a “must try” I had everything I needed except a jar of caramel sauce. A quick trip to the grocery and that problem was solved. I love coconut so that had to be added, and I cut back on the pecans, just to make it a bit more kid friendly.
These can be whipped up in no time, but they taste like you fussed all day.
Don’t tell anyone how easy they are, it will be our little secret!
Chocolate Caramel Coconut Shortbread Bars
slightly adapted from Miss In The Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 13.4 oz jar caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer, add butter and sugar. Beat until creamy.
- Add flour and mix until incorporated.
- Press mixture evenly into a 9 x 13 in pan
- Using a fork, prick crust all over.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Pour caramel sauce over the top of warm bars. Spread evenly over crust.
- Sprinkle coconut and pecans over caramel.
- In a small microwave bowl combine chocolate chips and cream. Heat in 20 second intervals, stirring in between until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle over the bars.
- Allow bars to come to room temperature.
- Then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove bars five minutes before serving.
- Slice into bars
May be served chilled or at room temperature. Store, covered in refrigerator.Print This Recipe